What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is one of the most popular cloud storage services available today, offering unlimited storage space in all King's College schools. If you've never used a cloud-based storage service like Google Drive before, take a moment to consider the advantages of keeping your files online. Because files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection, Drive eliminates the need to email or save a file to a USB drive. And because Drive allows you to share files, working with others becomes much easier.
Google Drive also gives you access to free web-based applications for creating documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and more. Watch this video from Google to learn more about how Google Drive works.
Creating files on Google Drive?
Google Drive doesn't just store your files; it also allows you to create, share, and manage documents with its own productivity apps. If you've ever used a suite like Microsoft Office, some things about Google Drive's apps might seem familiar. For instance, the types of files you can work with are similar to files that can be created with various Microsoft Office programs.
Below are the types of files you can create and share on Google Drive:
- Documents: For composing letters, flyers, essays, and other text-based files (similar to Microsoft Word documents)
- Spreadsheets: For storing and organizing information (similar to Microsoft Excel workbooks)
- Presentations: For creating slideshows (similar to Microsoft PowerPoint presentations)
- Forms: For collecting and organizing data
- Drawings: For creating simple vector graphics or diagrams
If you want to learn about Google Drive, please visit the following training Course.
How to use Google Drive
Tips and Tricks
- Send & save large attachments in Drive
- Access stored Drive files offline
- Create document templates
- See changes in Drive files & folders
- Switch to a different version of your file
- Share links to PDF versions of your files
- Work with Microsoft Office files
- See who's editing an Office file
- Complete PDF forms using a mobile device
- Find files and folders with shortcuts
- Find and act on unresolved comments
- Change your shared drive theme
- Automatically sync downloads to Drive
- Create an out of office document
- Scan files as PDFs with your phone
- Record a video meeting
- Get Drive notifications in Chat
- Share a file publicly
- Search for image files by description
- Find files in a shared drive by owner
- Only see the shared drives you want
- Translate Docs into other languages